When I originally started my blog, I wanted to focus on the positive things that people do, and the acts of kindness. However, as a human I feel that I absolutely cannot go a day longer without addressing the recent comments made by the Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson. His words are being defended in the most deplorable, reprehensible, and truly disgusting ways - it does NOT restore my faith in humanity. In fact, it questions where we are as a society, where people are defending a person's right to persecute and discriminate another human being for something out of their control.
1 in every 3 gay or bisexual teens commits suicide. That's 33% - which is a lot! These smart, caring, and loving kids would have and should have been our future. They could have gone on to be senators, inventors, scientists, engineers, the president, or even the doctor that cures cancer. But they won't. Their lives were ended too soon because of intolerance, hatred, bullying, and evil. I won't make this about religion, because in my opinion this is not a religious debate. It's a HUMANITARIAN issue.
Before you post a status, tweet a post, or instagram a picture to show support to Phil Robertson, think about the message you are sending the kids who will inherit our society. Think about the message you want to send them. Instead of condemning them to hell reach out and give them a hug. Instead of judging them as immoral, reach out a kind word. Instead of making them feel worse and more rejected than they already do, tell them they are LOVED. Instead of making this a religious issue, make it a humanitarian one. No one would ever want to think about their child being bullied or ostracized, or made to feel like less of a person, so why is it okay to do so when your target is an adult? It isn't.
I have heard and read a lot of people saying that Mr. Robertson's freedom of speech has been violated, and it makes me cringe. Freedom of speech allows us to say what we want without government intervention or punishment. Freedom of speech does NOT allow us to say whatever we want without repercussions and consequences. Freedom of speech does NOT mean you can discriminate and oppress a group of people. Freedom of speech does NOT mean you can use prejudicial slurs without some backlash from those standing up for the rights of others.
I have never understood discrimination of any kind. I have never understand bullying of any kind. I have never understood treating someone with such blatant hatred and disregard that could cause them to want to take their own life. I have always tried to help whoever I could, whenever I could. I don't want an award, recognition, or even a thank you. I do it to help those in need. I do it because it makes me feel good. I do it because I've been the victim of bullying. I've understood what it feels like to think that maybe the world would be better off without me - and I want to help other humans avoid feeling that way.
So please - whether you're religious or not, whether you're an LGBTQ ally or not, whether you have a gay friend or not......please really THINK about what you say before you say it. Think about who it will affect. People say words don't any power unless you allow them to have it. I disagree with this. I've been moved to tears by books, articles, poems, and songs. Words are extremely powerful! Please don't let your words become a noose, a gun, a bottle of pills, or a knife. Reach out and spread warmth, love, and kindness.
No comments:
Post a Comment