Friday, November 15, 2013

Hero: Darnell Barton



I am sure by now everyone has heard of Darnell Barton, or at least seen the viral video that made him famous for his kindness.  Darnell Barton is a bus driver who, while driving and doing his job, noticed a woman standing on the outside of a guard rail on an overpass.  Darnell stepped off of his bus and went to her.  He helped the woman in distress back over the guard rail and sat on the side of the road and embraced her.  I don't know anyone who can watch the video and not cry because of the truly moving gesture Darnell made.  (link to video below)

How many of us notice anything on our way into work, or the grocery store, or even as we're walking?  I know I am incredibly guilty of "zoning" and being somewhat oblivious to my surroundings.  But Darnell wasn't.  Darnell was working, keeping his passengers safe, and he STILL noticed this poor woman who was seconds away from ending her life.  He didn't just continue on about his day either - - - he took the time to reach out and simply ask, "are you okay?".  Mr. Barton's kind nature saved a life with a simple gesture, and just a few kind words.  Darnell is an amazing example of a good and selfless person.  

I challenge everyone to take a really good look at their surroundings and not get immersed in your own problems, and try to brighten someone else's day.  It doesn't take make; a smile and a few kind words is all it takes.  Reach out and spread the warmth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GgI90c4O8

No comments:

Post a Comment